New truck permit laws

The new Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) came into effect on February 10, meaning that truck operators will need to apply for heavy or oversized vehicle permits to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) instead of local government.

Western Downs Regional Council Spokesperson for Works and Engineering Services Councillor Andrew Smith said the new national rules will change how truck drivers apply for heavy vehicle permits.

“If a truck operator wanted a heavy or oversized vehicle permit in the past they’d contact Council. From [February 10], they’ll need to contact the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator to apply for their permits,” he said.

“This means Council’s place in managing heavy or oversized traffic on our local roads changes, from liaising with truck operators, to liaising with the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator.”

More information on the HVNL can be found at