2017 Future of local government national summit*
This acclaimed national event, convened by the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), will be held on Thursday and Friday, 25-26 May 2017 in Melbourne.
Future Shock is upon us but our system of governance is disintegrating.
There is a Better Way and this event, with an amazing array of Australian and international speakers and inclusive co-design processes will be a call to action to councils. We are in the midst of a crisis of confidence in government and governance.
- to realise we are poised between an old world that no longer works and a new one struggling to be born. We need to strengthen local democracy so citizens have more control of their own lives, communities and services
- for local government to capture the Australian political imagination by putting people and place first.
Taking account of:
- the great degree of disillusionment most citizens feel towards the current system, where they have a largely passive role to play
- the ‘top down’ silo planning, confusion, waste and duplication that exists in the current unstable, unsatisfactory and unsustainable Federation arrangements in Australia the need to enable place-based, collaborative local planning and delivery of required outcomes
- the rapid advancement of technology that is enabling participatory decision-making to take place to provide citizens with more control over their lives.
It is self-evident that we need to transition to an adapted model of governance in the 2020s.
For online registration and conference details go to: mav.asn.au/events (click on ‘upcoming events’ and scroll down to May 25)
*Copy supplied by MAV