New vision for Ballarat Botanical Gardens

Article image - New vision for Ballarat Botanical Gardens The statue of Wallace and the conservatory at the Ballarat Botanical Gardens The City of Ballarat and Friends of the Ballarat Botanical Gardens have signed a memorandum of understanding for the future of the Ballarat Botanical Gardens, the first of its kind between the two parties.

The agreement will enable the council and The Friends to define a shared vision for the future of the historic gardens, which date back to the goldfields era.

City of Ballarat Mayor Joshua Morris and Friends of the Ballarat Botanical Gardens president Elizabeth Gilfillan signed the agreement at the Friends of the Ballarat Botanical Gardens Symposium on 21 January 2014.

The Friends of the Ballarat Botanical Gardens is a voluntary organisation that was founded in 1982 to promote, support and contribute to the development of the gardens.

The strategic vision will be developed under the guidance of Botanical expert Mark Richardson and set out community aims for the gardens.

One of Ballarat’s most significant cultural and historical public assets, The Ballarat Botanical Gardens were planted in 1858 and cover 40 hectares.

By the 1880s a magnificent ‘gardenesque’ style central garden had become well established.

 It is one of Australia’s most attractive cool climate gardens, where the mature trees distinctly mark each season.