Focus On... FOCUS on Training and Professional Development
- Council traineeships strengthen workforce
As one of the largest employers in its region, Alexandrina Council recognises the importance of employing and training local youth – and the benefits flow two ways.
- Council puts safety first with STOP-IT
A potentially life-saving emergency stop system has been fitted to Logan City Council’s earthmoving and construction equipment to improve public safety.
- Future Directions - Written by Business Excellence Coordinator Kath Parry, Lismore City Council
- Reducing the gender pay gap
The City of Sydney is the first local government in Australia that has committed to reporting annually on gender pay equity in its workforce.
- Prepare for the challenges of an evolving sector*
- Outback intervention program builds resilience
The District Council of Yankalilla in South Australia is sponsoring a local young person to take part in a world-renowned development challenge.
- Keeping your professional development continuous*
- Mental health first aid for councillors and staff
Mental health and wellbeing has taken centre stage in the Coorong District Council area, following an unprecedented number of local deaths by suicide this year.
- Apprenticeship delivers the goods
Mackay Regional Council in Queensland knows the importance of supporting its trainees and apprentices.
- Partnerships help develop youth
The Town of Victoria Park is partnering with two local organisations to provide employment, training and education opportunities for local young people, many of them Indigenous.
- City Knows the Value of Learning
The City of Rockingham in Western Australia is committed to the professional development of its employees – so much so that it has made it one of its core values.
- A new brand of leaders arise
The City of Holdfast Bay in South Australia is strengthening its capabilities by investing in future leaders.
- Rethinking disability
The reTHINK disABILITY community awareness campaign was highly commended in the Excellence in Advocacy and Promotion of Human Rights category at the 2016 Victorian Disability Awards in June.
- Software saves time and reduces risk*
Shire of Broome delivers more efficient budgeting and reporting framework with MAGIQ
- Illuminating local youth
Gunnedah Shire Council is committed to developing young residents in the regional New South Wales community.
- Council grows it own
Rockhampton Regional Council in Queensland is helping staff members advance their careers.
- Creating a healthier workplace
Staff members at the City of Swan in Western Australia enjoy a suite of wellbeing initiatives.
- Council apprentice takes top gong for region
Southern Downs Regional Council mechanic, Brodie Ellery, recently took top honours for his region as part of the 2016 Queensland Training Awards.
- ALGA’s Call for Case Studies - Local Government Regional Cooperation on Regional Transport Plans